Friday, August 18, 2017

At/on/in (time)

    A. Compare at, on and in:

  * They arrived at 5 o'clock.

  * They arrived on Friday.

  * They arrived in October./They arrived in 1968.

  We use:
at for the time of day:
  at 5 o'clock, 
  at 11.45, 
  at midnight, 
  at lunchtime, 
  at sunset etc.

on for days and dates:
  on Friday/on Fridays, 
  on 12 March 1991, 
  on Christmas Day, 
  on my birthday
in for longer periods (for example, months/years/seasons):
  in October, 
  in 1968, 
  in the 18th century, 
  in the past, 
  in (the) winter, 
  in the 1970s, 
  in the Middle Ages, 
  in (the) future
  
  B. We use at in these expressions:
  
  at night: I don't like going out at night.
  at the weekend/at weekends: Will you be here at the weekend?
  at Christmas/at Easter(but on Christmas Day): Do you give each other presents at Christmas?
  at the moment/at present: Mr. Benn is busy at the moment/at present.
  at the same time: Liz and I arrived at the same time.
  
Note that we usually ask 'What time ... ?' (not usually 'At what time...?):

  * What time are you going out this evening?

    C. We say:

  in the morning(s), 
  in the afternoon(s), 
  in the evening(s)

  * I'll see you in the morning.
  
  * Do you work in the evenings?
  
but:
  on Friday morning(s), 
  on Sunday afternoon(s), 
  on Monday evening(s) etc.

  * I'll be at home on Friday morning.
  
  * Do you usually go out on Saturday evenings?
  
  D. We do not use at/on/in before last/next/this/every:

  * I'll see you next Friday. (not 'on next Friday')
  
  * They got married last March.

    E. In a few minutes/in six months etc. = a time in the future

  * The train will be leaving in a few minutes. (= a few minutes from now)

  * Jack has gone away. He'll be back in a week. (= a week from now)

  * She'll be here in a moment. (= a moment from now)
   
  You can also say 'in six months' time', 'in a week's time' etc.:

  * They're getting married in six months' time. (or ... in six months.)
  
  We also use in... to say how long it takes to do something:

  * I learned to drive in four weeks.  it took me four weeks to learn)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   

 EXERCISES
  1 Complete the sentences. Each time use at, on or in + one of the following.

the evening - the moment - Sundays - about 20 minutes - 21 July 1969 - the Middle Ages - 1492 - the 1920s - 11 seconds - Christmas - the same time - night
  
  1. Columbus made his first voyage from Europe to America _in 1492._

  2. In Britain most people do not work ---.

  3. If the sky is clear, you can see the stars ---.

  4. After working hard during the day, I like to relax ---.

  5. The first man walked on the moon ---.

  6. It's difficult to listen if everyone is speaking ---.

  7. Jazz became popular in the United States ---.

  8. I'm just going out to the shop. I'll be back ---.

  9. (on the phone) 'Can I speak to Clare?' 'I'm afraid she's not here ---.'

  10. In Britain, people send each other cards ---.

  11. Many of Europe's great cathedrals were built ---.

  12. Bob is a very fast runner. He can run 100 meters ---.


 2 Put in at, on or in where necessary. Leave an empty space (-) if no preposition is necessary.

  1. 
  a. I'll see you _on_ Friday.

  b. I'll see you (-) next Friday. (no preposition)

  2.
  a. What are you doing --- Saturday?

  b. What are you doing --- the weekend?
  
  3. 
  a. They often go out --- the evenings.

  b. They often go out --- Sunday evenings

  4. 
  a. Do you work --- Wednesdays?

  b. Do you work--- every Wednesday?

  5. 
  a. We usually have a holiday --- the summer.

  b. We often have a short holiday --- Christmas.

  6. 
  a. Pauline got married --- 1991.

  b. Pauline got married --- 18 May 1991.

  c. Chris is getting married --- this year.


 3 Put in at, on or in.

  1. Mozart was born in Salzburg --- 1756.

  2. I haven't seen Kate for a few days. I last saw her --- Tuesday.

  3. The price of electricity is going up --- October.

  4. I've been invited to a wedding --- 14 February.

  5. Hurry up! We've got to go --- five minutes.

  6. I'm busy just now but I'll be with you --- a moment.

  7. Jenny's brother is an engineer but he's out of work --- the moment.

  8. There are usually a lot of parties --- New Year's Eve.

  9. I hope the weather will be nice --- the weekend.
  
  10. Saturday night I went to bed --- 11 o'clock.

  11. I don't like traveling --- night.

  12. We traveled overnight to Paris and arrived --- 5 o'clock --- the morning.

  13. The course begins --- 7 January and ends sometime --- April.

  14. It was quite a short book and easy to read. I read it --- a day.

  15. I might not be at home --- Tuesday morning but I'll probably be there --- the afternoon.

  16. My car is being repaired at the garage. It will be ready --- two hours.

  17. The telephone and the doorbell rang --- the same time.

  18. Mary and Henry always go out for a meal --- their wedding anniversary.


  19. Henry is 63. He'll be retiring from his job --- two years' time.

No comments:

Post a Comment